Saturday, January 7, 2012

Open Studios San Francisco Review

Over the course of a month, artists open their studios to the public on the weekends.  Different neighborhoods are featured each week.  I choose studios by location: let's start here and walk to all the studios we can until we get cranky and go home.  You could also choose to see studios based on art medium/style, but this is a great way to see art outside of your comfort zone.

Each studio is different. Some are STUDIOS like in movies (which realistically starving artists can't afford but Hollywood says they can); others are rooms in their house or in their garage. But every one is great. (I saw some great houses; I wanted to move in. Jealous.)

Most of the artists also have little snacks to munch on.  I feel kinda weird because artists are supposed be starving and here I am eating their food:  "I swear, I'm here for the art.  I just happen to be eating too."  But the snacks are nice when you get hungry hitting up all the studios.

One of my favorite locations was in SOMA. It's a real studio with ~30 artists that's normally closed to the public .  One artist had shadow boxes, but her's are so much cooler than ones I've seen before. She (I think she) made social and political statements while being twisted funny.

Artspan
934 Brannan St

San Francisco, CA 94103
Neighborhood: SOMA
(415) 861-9838

No comments:

Post a Comment